Rice Development to Support the Green Revolution in Africa Through CARD Phase 2 (Coalition for African Rice Development Phase 2)
- 2022/8/22 (Mon)17:00-18:30（JST）
- Agriculture (CARD)
- Type of Event
- Online Webinar
- Alliance for a Green Revolution in Africa (AGRA)
CARD is an international initiative launched at TICAD IV in 2008 with the goal of doubling rice production within 10 years. This goal was achieved in 2018. However, demand for rice in Africa is growing, and to solve this problem, a new goal to redouble rice production by 2030 was set, and CARD Phase 2 was launched at TICAD 7 in 2019. Currently, 32 African countries are participating in CARD Phase 2, and activities are being implemented to achieve the aforementioned goal. These activities involve more partners such as international organizations, development agencies, research institutions, and regional economic communities (RECs).
In response to the recent global situation, the importance of food security is being emphasized, and we believe that CARD's role is becoming increasingly important.
- What efforts is each organization making to promote rice production in Africa, and what achievements have they recorded?
- What should each stakeholder in each region and country consider and implement to promote the rice sector and achieve self-sufficiency in order to contribute to food security in Africa?
- What is CARD's role in this regard, and what is expected of CARD in terms of outcomes?
Representatives from each of the participating organizations will report and share their efforts to promote the African rice sector under CARD and discuss future challenges to increasing rice production and achieving self-sufficiency, as well as CARD's role in leading and supporting these efforts in order to contribute to food security.
- Dr. TANAKA Akihiko
- President, JICA
- Dr. ASANUMA Shuichi
- Professor Emeritus, Nagoya University
- Dr. HANEISHI Yusuke
- General Coordinator, CARD Secretariat
- Dr. IIYAMA Miyuki
- Program Director, Information Program, Research Strategy Office, JIRCAS
- Dr. OTSUKA Keijiro
- Professor, Kobe University
- H.E. Andry Nirina Rajoelina
- President, Republic of Madagascar
- Dr. Akinwumi Akin Adesina
- President, AfDB
- Dr. Agnes Matilda Kalibata
- President, AGRA
- Dr. Abebe HAILE-GABRIEL
- Assistant Director General and Regional Representative for Africa, FAO
- Mr. OOKA Makoto
- Managing Director, Kubota Kenya Limited
- Dr. Alain Sy Traoré
- Director, Agriculture and Rural Development, ECOWAS Commission
- Mr. KUBOTA Osamu
- Vice-President, JICA
*The deadline for registration is 9:00 AM, Monday, August 22 (Japan time).