African Initiative for Combating Desertification (AI-CD): Toward Achieving a Resilient Africa
- 2022/8/24 (Wed)19:30-21:00（JST）
- Type of Event
- Online Webinar
- Ministry of Environment and Forestry of Kenya/Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development of Senegal
The effect of desertification in the Sahel and the Horn of Africa region is growing due to frequent droughts caused by climate change and the overexploitation of natural resources. This phenomenon worsens the livelihood conditions of the low-income population. From the medium- to long-term perspective, the deepening of poverty in the region could lead to greater risk such as refugees and terrorism.
Against this backdrop, the governments of Kenya and Senegal,along with JICA and the UNCCD launched theAfrican Initiative for Combating Desertification to Strengthen Resilience to Climate Change in the Sahel and the Horn of Africa (AI-CD) during TICAD VI in 2016 and have continued investing efforts in fifteen African countries in co-operation with development partners, mainly through three pillars, namely networking, knowledge-sharing, and improving access to finance. Consequently, many desirable outcomes have been generated.
- What achievements have been made through AI-CD, and were there any challenges during its implementation?
- What are the recent movements and future directions/strategies of global initiatives such as the Great Green Wall and other relevant organizations for fighting against desertification and climate change?
- What is the way forward for the Sahel and the Horn of Africa countries to accelerate their efforts for combating desertification and strengthening resilience to climate change?
This side event aims to share the achievements of AI-CD over the past six years and discuss ways to make countries in the Sahel and the Horn of Africa region resilient to climate change by promoting measures for combating desertification.
- Mr. ONODERA Seiichi
- Senior Vice President, JICA
- Dr. Chris Kiptoo
- CBS, Principal Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forestry of Kenya
- Mr. Baidy BA
- Director of Water, Forests, Hunting and Soil Conservation, Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development of Senegal
- Dr. Sheick Khalil Sangaré
- Acting Chief of Department of Studies and Researches in Agriculture, Environment and Markets, The Sahel Institut (INSAH/CILSS)
- Dr. Lucy Ng’ang’a
- Deputy Director, Multilateral Environment Agreements, Ministry of Environment and Forestry
- Dr. Musingo Mbuvi
- Deputy Director, Forest Research Support Service, Kenya Forestry Research Institute
- Ms. Mabel Emmanuel
- Director, Desertification Land Degradation and Drought Management, Federal Ministry of Environment of Nigeria
- Dr. George Louise Tadu
- Senior Research Scientist, Head of Root and Horticultural Crops Research, Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security of South Sudan
- Dr. Elvis Paul Tangem
- Coordinator, Great Green Wall For the Sahara and Sahel Initiative, African Union (AU)
- Mr. Takashi Nishimura
- Deputy Director General, Global Environment Department, JICA
- Mr. Takuya SHIRAISHI
- AI-CD Secretariat
*The deadline for registration is 17:00, Tuesday, August 23 (Japan time).