Nature-Based Solutions Toward a Prosperous and Resilient Africa (tentative title)
- 2022/8/26 (Fri)19:30-21:00（JST）
- Natural Resouce Management
- Type of Event
- Online Webinar
- Forestry Agency of Japan/International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN)/International Tropical Timber Organization (ITTO)/Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
In Africa, there are 940 million hectares of forest, accounting for 16% of the global total. However, forests in Africa are under threat and are decreasing in size due to population pressure and land use change among others. JICA has worked for natural resource management in Africa over several decades and accumulated vast knowledge and lessons through collaborative work with African countries and development partners. It is envisaged that these co-created knowledge are useful for addressing issues in natural resources management in Africa. It is believed that co-created knowledge in the sector should inform effective approaches for the nature-based solution (NbS) in Africa, which has recently been receiving global attention. Based on this recognition, JICA launched a new knowledge program that conducts a study to identify and disseminate effective approaches for the NbS (hereinafter referred to as the“NbS approach”) in Africa.
- What challenges are African countries facing in natural resource management towards achieving sustainable development?
- What on-the-ground practices and lessons can be presented to effectively address the challenges of natural resource loss and degradation as well as climate change?
- What are the challenges, and what is needed in the future to utilize that knowledge effectively in accelerating sustainable natural resource management efforts in Africa toward achieving the 2030 SDGs?
- To showcase co-created knowledge and on-the-ground practices in sustainable natural resource management that have been accumulated so far through cooperation among Japan, Africa, and international partners
- To discuss ways, with a particular focus on the roles of knowledge to accelerate efforts toward achieving sustainable natural resource management in Africa in order to fulfill the SDGs by 2030
- Mr. Onodera Seiichi
- Senior Vice President, JICA
- Mr. Tanimoto Tetsuo
- Director, International Forestry Cooperation Office, Forestry Agency of Japan
- Ms. Tiina Vähänen
- Deputy Director, Forestry Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Mr. Luther Bois Anukur
- Regional Director, Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office, International Union for Conservation Nature
- Mr. Charles Karangwa
- Regional Head of Land Systems, Country Representative for Kenya, Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Office, International Union for Conservation Nature
- Mr. Polycarpe MASUPA KAMBALE
- Projects Manager, Forest Management Division, ITTO
- Dr. Chris Kiptoo
- Principal Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forestry of Kenya
- Mr. Benjamin TOIRAMBE BAMONINGA
- General Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, Democratic Republic of The Congo
*The deadline for registration is 17:00, Thursday, August 25 (Japan time).